Friday, March 21, 2008

The things I'll do for (nearly) free carpet

My friend Allison lives in a obscenely large home. Unfortunately their basement flooded, ruining most of their nice only 3 year old carpet. I said most. There were three pretty large areas that were fine, but she couldn't use them because even if she ordered the exact same carpet, it wouldn't be an exact match because of variations in dye lots. She is graciously giving the carpet to me since in our new house, Annika's room and Maddie's room could really use less hideous carpet and that would bring the grand total of different types of carpet in the house down from 4 to 3. The catch, I had to get the carpet out of her basement and into my new house. It would have not been so bad if there were not a large screen tv to move, and an entire room dedicated to Christmas decorations, and various breakable items mostly resting on very heavy storage shelves. Enter the Tongans, oh and me. Yes, I worked side by side with these two huge guys, lifting and moving heavy items, hauling carpet and pad up stairs (ok, I only hauled pad) for two hours! They spoke English perfectly, but would often talk to each other in "their language". I can only imagine that they were saying this like, "does she think she's helping?"and "How much do you think she weighs, as much as my leg?" "Is she a direct descendent of Mr. Burns?" Anyway, the carpet is currently being pieced together in each of the girls rooms. It's not exactly the carpet I would pick out, but definately better than what was there. Peace out.

2 comments:

Di said...

new carpet? exxxxcellent.

free stuff is the best. yesterday i brought home a ton of free flowers & food from amber's photo shoot. nancy, i'm jealous you get to decorate your house from scratch. i know it's overwhelming, but i kinda live for that stuff.

does your new house have roaches? cuz mine does. oh btw ya'll, the bed bug scare is over. (our next door neighbors thought they had bed bugs) an inspector came and determined the bugs to be of the non-bed(?) variety. now the question is, so what kind of bugs are/were they? oh, nyc is just fun!

Lisa said...

There's nothing wrong with a few variations in carpet throughout your home...at least it is free! I'm just glad you survived the whole Tongan fiasco.

oh,and yes di...what kind of bugs were they?...creepy