Friday, November 7, 2008

My Doppelganger?

For those of you unfamiliar with the theory of dopplegangers, it is the idea that for every person there is another person somewhere in the world that is an identical replica of that person only their opposite. If he/she is good than the other is bad and vice versa. Some of you may recall a seinfeld episode where Elaine meets bizarro Jerry, George and Kramer. It's similar to that. So my friend sent me a picture text of this ad and wanted to know when I started doing commercials. I was like, what the crap are you talking about. Then I saw the picture and I had to do a double take. Is that really me?

I started thinking about all of the possibilities. What if this person becomes a really famous actor? I could be his stunt double or maybe even get a segment on a "stars look-a-like episode" of the Maury Pouvich show. Maybe he becomes America's next top model and all of a sudden women mistakenly recognize me and chase me through malls and parking structures. I could dupe the paparazzi into thinking I was him and sell pictures of me on the beach with a gut and having really let myself go. I could drop out of medical school with all of the money I would make. Then I found this tidbit on wikipedia about dopplegangers... "In some traditions, a doppelgänger seen by a person's friends or relatives portends illness or danger, while seeing one's own doppelgänger is an Omen of Death!"

That can't be good. Do you think you have to see the doppelganger in person or does it work when you see their picture? Anyways, this triggered my memory back to a family outing we had about ten years ago. We went up to deer creek for labor day and while we were on the "beach" there was another kid my age in a similar swimming suit and when he turned around I thought I was looking in the mirror. I think that Sylvia may have actually pointed him out to me. (Do you remember this, Sylvia?) Well, it definitely weirded me out and I still remember it. I can't remember anything particularly bad happening to me after that though.

I searched the internet and found the ad. It's the ad at the top of the page that alternates with another ad, so you may have to wait a second for it to appear. Just click on the title of this post for a link and let me know what you guys think?

2 comments:

Di said...

that's danny uncanny.

Susan and Grant said...

Danny, I showed it to Dad. I said you had a modeling career. At first he believed me and then he said no that's not Danny so I showed him your blog. That guy really looks like you. We must find him. I have never heard of doppelganger before but I saw Uncle Johnny's doppelganger in France and another one in the obituaries. So I guess it is true. One time I saw another Nancy Paulsen on a cruise we were on.